Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Waiting

Just got up here to spend the day with Carlos.  He had an uneventful night.  I was able to sleep well surprisingly, getting a solid 6 hours.  I had a moment in the car on the way here to the Mayo, but am otherwise keeping my shit together.  I talked to the girls this morning (Chris had already left for school).  Daja is like me, tough exterior but melted butter on the inside.  She tends to internalize as I do - not necessarily a good quality.  Libby, on the hand, wears her emotions out on her sleeve.  She was a little upset but handled herself well.  I'm going to look into some counseling for them today.  That's towards the top of my agenda today...and going to the transplant support group this afternoon if Carlos is behaving.

So I've been getting a fast lesson in ICU nursing.  The staff here at the Mayo are absolutely wonderful.  This is the best nursing care Carlos has ever had.  I'm blown away by everyone.  They don't play around dragging their feet.  Decisions or plans are made and then it happens.  The nurses have been very considerate about answering my numerous technical questions.  You know, 'what does that number represent? What is the normal range for this measurement? What's the goal for this measurement?'. His numbers seem to look a little better this morning but haven't seen the 'team' yet other than the nurse coordinator.

He's very tired....barely keeping his eyes open when someone is talking to him. I don't know if that's just because they wore home out before I got here - he had just finished breakfast, or just worsening status. In terms of how he looks, he looks worse even though the numbers look a little better.

For those who want to visit - he's currently in ICU bed 21. Visiting hours are 9:00 to 6:30 and 8:00 to 11:00. Only 2 visitors are allowed at a time so please check with me via my cell before you come. I'm trying to coordinate visits so that no one has to sit out in the waiting room. Please don't send flowers as they won't allow him to have them, especially once the transplant occurs. The flowers can harbor bacteria or fungus that could make him severely ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment